While California is fully open, the risk of COVID-19 is still present, especially for those who are not fully vaccinated against the virus. When people wear a mask correctly, they protect others as well as themselves. California has now changed its mask requirements to match CDC guidance.There are places where everyone 2 years of age and older* must continue to wear a mask, regardless of their vaccination status. Note that in the workplace, workers have to follow Cal/OSHA mask requirements which are different than the guidance below.
Settings where everyone regardless of vaccination status, MUST wear a mask
- On planes, trains, buses, ferries, taxis and ride-shares, and all other forms of public transport
- In transportation hubs like airports, bus terminals, train stations, marinas, seaports or other ports,
subway stations, or any other area that provides transportation.
- Healthcare settings
- State and local correctional facilities and detention centers
- Shelters and cooling centers
- Indoors at any youth-serving facility (such as K-12 schools, childcare, day camps, etc.)
- Any business or government office serving the public that requires everyone to wear a mask
People who are unvaccinated must wear a mask in indoor public settings and businesses
- Movie theaters
- Retail spaces
- Family entertainment centers
- Government offices serving the public
Strong recommendations for everyoneEveryone is strongly encouraged to wear a mask in indoor public settings and businesses.
To be extra safe, it is strongly recommended that you, regardless of your vaccination status, wear masks indoors in public places when you don't know everyone’s vaccination status. While fully vaccinated people are protected from getting sick from variants, they may get asymptomatic or mild infections.
While COVID-19 cases are increasing and the Delta variant is spreading, everyone is asked to wear masks to help slow the spread of the virus. When do you need to wear a mask? You can always choose to wear a mask if you want to, regardless of your vaccination status. And you cannot be turned away from a business or activity for wearing one.
When do you need to wear a mask? English | Arabic | Chinese (Simplified) | Chinese (Traditional) | Farsi | Khmer | Korean | Spanish | Tagalog | Vietnamese